Tropical Trails Singletrack Mountain Bike Tour at Hacienda Guachipelin
Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin’s newest mountain biking tour at Rincon de la Vieja Volcano rides singletrack trails on three different routes that will satisfy all levels: Beginner, Intermediate and Expert. Hacienda Guachipelin maintains 30 kilometers of shaded singletrack mountain bike trails with scenic views – the only mountain bike trails in Costa Rica on an active volcano! The altitude makes this area cooler than coastal area trails.
Each exciting Costa Rica mountain biking adventure starts at the same point, riding singletrack through the forest along a river. Altitude starts at 500 meters (1,640 feet). The well-shaded trail keeps you cool, and being surrounded by nature gives you high chances of seeing wildlife, like howler and white-faced monkeys, agoutis, armadillos, and Crested Curassows. Our route takes you to the Oropendula Waterfall, where you can go for a quick swim if you like. Then you will continue back on a forest trail bordering the Rincon de la Vieja National Park, crossing several bridges, some over rivers, back to Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin.
Hacienda Guachipelin uses only high-quality mountain bikes and offers both hard tail as well as full suspension.
Beginner: 12.5 km ride (7.7 miles); Ascent: 5.5 km (3.4 miles); Descent: 7 km (4.3 miles); Duration 1.5 – 2.5 hours.
Intermediate: 16 km ride (10 miles); Ascent: 5.5 km (3.4 miles); Descent with ups and downs: 10.5 km (6.5 miles); Duration 2 – 3 hours.
Expert: 30 km ride (18.7 miles). The first half of the ride involves 5.5 km (3.4 miles) of ascent and 7 km (4.3 miles) of descent with ups and downs. The second half rides singletrack 17.5 km (11 miles) alongside the Rincon de la Vieja National Park on variable terrain with ups and downs; mostly under forest tree cover. There will be another opportunity to refresh with a swim in waterfall pools by the park. Duration: 3 – 4 hours.
Tour times: 8:30 AM & 2:00 PM
Tour duration: Beginner: 1.5 – 2.5 hours; Intermediate: 2 – 3 hours; Expert: 3 – 4 hours.
Hard tail mountain bike: Beginner $72.50 / Intermediate $85 / Expert $97.50
Full suspension mountain bike: Beginner $85 / Intermediate $97.50 / Expert $110
Tours include: Full suspension mountain bike or hard tail mountain bike, helmet, gloves, fruit and water or hydrating drink, and bilingual mountain biking guides (English-Spanish).
Important information for tour participants:
• Tours require a minimum of two persons to operate for regular pricing; or the tour can be operated with only one person with an extra charge of $20 USD.
• Mountain bikers must be at least 14 years old.
• Minimal experience is required for the Beginner Tour.
• Please bring sport shoes, sport clothing (preferably for cycling), sport sunglasses, and insect repellent; swimsuit is optional.
• If you have your own clip-in cycling shoes, please inform us when you make your reservation. Also please let us know what level mountain biker you are.
• Persons who have the following medical conditions should NOT do this tour: pregnancy, osteoporosis, severe sight problems, cardiovascular or respiratory problems, or any kind of physical disability that would make doing this tour be a danger to yourself or others.
• You must at all times follow the instructions of your mountain biking guide. No reckless behavior is permitted. Anyone who violates these rules will have their tour immediately canceled without reimbursement.